J1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

26. How do I determine my current legal status in the U.S. as a J-1 status holder?

The Exchange Program Period that is marked on your Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility determines the length of your legal stay within the U.S.

27. What is the grace period on J-1 visa?

As J-1 exchange visitor, you are permitted to remain in the country up to 30 days past the end date of your Form DS-2019 . This time is to allow you time for tourism and packing. You do not have work authorization during this time. If you require additional time to complete your project, request both DS-2019 extension, if eligible, before your grace period begins.

Check My Eligibility

28. Can I leave and re-enter the U.S. if my DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility, and I-94, Arrival-Departure document, are still valid but my visa has expired?

Yes, but you will need a new visa to re-enter the U.S. Reapplying for a J-1 or J-2 visa may be risky in some countries.

29. I am a J-1 student. How long can I participate in practical training upon completion of my degree program?

The length of time varies depending on the degree awarded. If you have received your baccalaureate/ master’s degree you may enter a training program for a maximum period of 18 months, while post-doctoral individuals can receive practical training for a maximum period of 36 months.

30. Can I change status to J-1 student from J-1 researcher?

Yes, you may change status from J-1 researcher to J-1 student, however, some program sponsors require you to go abroad and apply for another J-1 visa under the new program before allowing you to change your status.