J1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

31. Can I change from short term J-1 researcher to long-term J-1 researcher?

Yes, you may. However, some sponsors may require you to obtain a new visa and re-enter the U.S. before allowing you to change your status.

32. What is the relationship between a J-1 visa and an O-1 visa?

There is no direct relationship between a J-1 visa and an O-1 visa. While on J-1 status, if you are not able to obtain a J-1 waiver before your maximum term expires, your employer may apply for an O-1 visa on your behalf and you may go abroad to obtain an O-1 visa.

Check My Eligibility

33. What are my chances of obtaining a J-1 visa waiver?

Obtaining a J-1 waiver varies for every individual. Every case needs to be determined on its own merits. It is impossible to predict whether your J-1 waiver request will be granted. However, a well prepared application along with strong supporting documentation will always improve your chances.

34. What role does the United States Information Agency (USIA) play in determining J-1 waivers?

Prior to 1999, the USIA handled all J-1 waivers. The agency was abolished and all J-1 Waivers are now under the jurisdiction of the U.S. State Department, Waiver Review Division.

35. If I have been denied a National Interest Waiver, will I be able to obtain a J-1 waiver?

It depends. The National Interest Waiver and J-1 Waiver application process are determined independently of one another. One petition does not affect the other.