J1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

41. How long does an IGA waiver take?

You must first obtain a case number (which can take about a month). The amount of time required to obtain the IGA recommendations depends on each particular IGA. After the IGA recommendations are received, the State Department then reviews the case (four-five months). The State Department then forwards its recommendation to the appropriate USCIS Center. Different USCIS centers have different review processing times.

42. What should I do if my time to process an IGA Waiver or No-Objection Letter has run out?

You should request your program sponsor to extend your program to the maximum program duration. If you are about to reach the maximum duration period, you should consider an F-1 program and obtain USCIS Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. In the alternative, if an employer is willing to sponsor you for an O-1 visa, you may apply for an O-1 visa.

Check My Eligibility

43. How can I obtain a No Objection statement and where should I forward it?

You may contact the consular section of your embassy in Washington, D.C., and request a No Objection statement to be forwarded to the Department of State on your behalf. The Embassy must forward the No Objection statement directly to the Waiver Review Division at the Department of State.

44. Can I request for a No Objection statement while in the application process?

You may request a No Objection statement only after you have submitted your data sheet and fee, and received an information packet from the Waiver Review Division of the Department of State.

45. If I am unable to obtain a No Objection statement for J-1 waiver from my former country of residence, what will be my status?

You may apply for a waiver in any of the remaining statutory bases. If none of the other bases applies to your situation, you must return home to fulfill the foreign residence requirement.