M1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is M-1 visa?

The M-1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign students wishing to pursue vocational or non-academic studies, other than language training, to enter into the U.S.

2. How do I qualify for M-1 visa?

To qualify for an M-1 visa, you must:

  1. Prove your intention to enter into the U.S. temporarily
  2. Attend an approved vocational study program
  3. Engage in a full course of study
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on M-1 visa?

On M-1 visa, you may:

  1. Enter the U.S. as a fulltime vocational or non-academic student
  2. Transfer from one school to another
  3. Work legally on-campus on a part-time basis
  4. Work legally off-campus on an assignment that’s related to your field of study
  5. Travel in and out of the U.S.
  6. Apply for M-2 visas for dependants accompanying you to the U.S.

4. What are the limitations of M-1 student visa?

On M-1 student visa, you may:

  1. Transfer from one school to another only with the permission of the USCIS
  2. Never be permitted to change your course of study
  3. Work legally off-campus only with the permission of the USCIS
  4. Take dependants to stay with you in the U.S. but they may not work

Note: Once you are six months into the program of studies, you are prohibited from changing your course of study except under truly exceptional circumstances.

5. Can I work on M-1 visa?

No, you may not work on M-1 visa. However, you may apply for practical training after you complete your studies. If approved, you will be allowed to have one month of practical training for every four months of study you have completed. You will be limited to six months total practical training time.