M1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. What duties must I fulfill to remain in good M-1 status?

To remain in good M-1 status, you must:

  1. Pass your course work every semester
  2. Pay tuition fees on time
  3. Maintain an international address to which you intend to depart upon completion of studies
  4. Always maintain the same educational objectives

17. Can I change status from M-1 following the completion of my course of study?

Yes, you may apply for change of status to most other categories of nonimmigrant visas. However, you may not change to F status or H-1B status if the job offered is based on skills gained through studies while in M status.

Check My Eligibility

18. Can I bring my dependents on M-1 visa?

Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may come with you to the U.S. on M-2 nonimmigrant visa.

19. What is the procedure to bring my dependants on M-2 visa?

To bring your dependants on M-2 visa, your dependants must:

  1. Visit the U.S. embassy or consulate with you when you apply for your M-1 student visa
  2. Be prepared to prove their relationship with you
  3. Provide the U.S. embassy staff with a copy of your Form I-20I-D issued to them and proof of their relationship with you if they plan to follow you at a later date

20. Can my dependants work on M-2 visa?

No, your spouse and children may not accept employment on derivative M-2 status.