M1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

21. Can my dependants study on M-2 visa?

Your M-2 spouse may not engage in full-time study and your M-2 child may only engage in full-time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade).

Note: Your M-2 spouse and child may engage in study that is vocational or recreational in nature.

22. Can I take a holiday in the U.S. on M-1 visa after I have completed my study program?

While on M-1 visa you may remain in the U.S. for up to 30 days after the completion of your study program, or in total one year from your date of admission, whichever is shorter. If you wish to remain longer, you will be required to apply for Change of Status from M-1 to B-2 with the USCIS.

Check My Eligibility

23. What should I do with the I-94/I-94W, Arrival-Departure document, from my last visit to the U.S.?

You should complete the back of the I-94/I-94W, Arrival-Departure document, and return it to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

24. Do I need any vaccinations to be eligible for M-1 visa?

Vaccinations are no longer required for temporary travel to the U.S. However, if you are intending to study or work, you should contact the school or prospective employer as they may have specific requirements.

25. What is the difference between F-1 and M-1 Visa program?

The F-1 visa gives you the option to transfer to a university after you have completed your community college studies. On M-1 visa, you study a vocational program for two years and then you must return to your home country. M-1 students are not allowed to continue on to the university level.