Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. What should I do if I cannot make it to my scheduled interview for Naturalization?

It is very important not to miss your interview. If you will not be able to attend your interview you should:

  1. Notify the office where your interview is scheduled by mail as soon as possible
  2. Ask to have your interview rescheduled. Rescheduling an interview may add several months to the Naturalization process, so try not to change your original interview date. If an emergency arises and you absolutely cannot make your appointment, call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 to request rescheduling. The NCSC will record the information, and pass it on to the local office, which will make the final decision whether to reschedule your appointment

Note: If you miss your scheduled interview without notifying the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, the USICS will ‘administratively close’ your case. Unless you contact the USCIS to schedule a new interview within one year after it closes your case, it will deny your application. It will not notify you if your case is closed because you missed your interview.

12. Will the USCIS provide special accommodations for me if I am disabled?

Some people with disabilities need special consideration during the Naturalization process. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations in these cases. For example, if you use a wheelchair, the USCIS will ensure your fingerprint location is wheelchair accessible. If you are hearing impaired and wish to bring a sign language interpreter to your interview, you may do so. Asking for an accommodation will not affect your eligibility for Naturalization. The USCIS makes decisions about making accommodations on a case-to-case basis.

Check My Eligibility

13. If the USCIS grants me Naturalization, when will I become a citizen?

You become a citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. In some places, you can choose to take the Oath the same day as your Naturalization interview. If that option is not available or if you prefer a ceremony at a later date, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will notify you of the ceremony date with a Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

14. What should I do if I cannot go to my Oath Ceremony for Naturalization?

If you cannot go to the Oath Ceremony, you should return the Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, which the USCIS sent to you. You must also include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send it to the USCIS. Your local office will reschedule you and send you a new Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, to tell you when your ceremony will be.

15. What can I do if the USCIS denies my application for Naturalization?

There is an administrative review process for those who are denied Naturalization. If you feel that you have been wrongly denied Naturalization, you may request a hearing with an immigration officer. Your denial letter will explain how to request a hearing and will include the form you need. The form for filing an appeal is Form N-336, Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings, under section 336 of the INA.