Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

21. I lost my Naturalization Certificate and I need to travel outside the U.S. How can I obtain proof of my Citizenship so that I can apply for a U.S. passport with the Department of State?

You should file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document, with your local office to replace the lost certificate. You may also contact the Department of State for information on how to obtain a passport.

22. What documents do I need to bring to my U.S. Citizenship interview?

The documents that you should bring to your interview are:

  1. Green Card
  2. Passport and other travel documents
  3. Marriage certificate, or divorce certificate if you are using the three year rule for marriage to U.S. citizen. (If your spouse is deceased at the time of the interview, you should bring a copy of the death certificate
  4. Income tax returns
  5. Child support receipts
  6. Military and Selective Service records
  7. Criminal records. (If you have a criminal record, you may bring a lawyer with you to your interview)
Check My Eligibility

23. What should I do if there is no birth record or file for me and I need to apply for U.S. Citizenship?

1.If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need the following documents to substantiate your Citizenship:

a.A letter from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record

b.Early public records to prove your birth in the U.S.

2.If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you may apply for a passport. You will need:

a.Your foreign birth certificate that includes your parents’ names

b.Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. Citizenship

c.Your parents’ marriage certificate

24. How do I get a birth certificate proving my US Citizenship if I was born abroad?

If one or both of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, your parent(s) should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and, received a Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. Citizenship.

25. Can I claim U.S. Citizenship if I was born while my parents were in the U.S. on student status?

Yes, almost anybody born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen regardless of the nationality or status of the parents. The only exception is for children of foreign diplomats who have full diplomatic immunity. Anyone else may apply for an American passport by presenting an original birth certificate showing birth in the U.S. and adequate identity documents.