Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

26. If I cannot transmit Citizenship to my child, is there a way that my child can become a U.S. citizen?

Yes, when you cannot transmit Citizenship to your child born overseas because you do not have the required physical presence time in the U.S., you have two options:

  1. You may apply for the expeditious Naturalization of your child, if a U.S. citizen grandparent has enough physical presence time in the U.S. This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The process can take from six months to a year or more, and the child must go to the U.S. to be naturalized
  2. The U.S. citizen parent may file for an immigrant visa for the child. Under the Child Citizenship Act, once the child enters the U.S. on an immigrant visa, the child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen

27. Can my spouse obtain a U.S. passport or Citizenship through marriage?

A U.S. citizen cannot transmit Citizenship to a spouse. Your spouse would be required to apply for an immigrant visa and reside in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. An application for Naturalization is made to the Department of Homeland Security on fulfilling a residency requirement. Once naturalized, your spouse would be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport.

Check My Eligibility

28. Can I become a U.S. citizen again after losing my U.S. Citizenship once?

Probably, some Supreme Court decisions have opened the way for review of many loss of Citizenship cases. Although each case is different, many do not stand up to the revised level of scrutiny and can be vacated with the consequent restoration of Citizenship.

Note: You can also go through the Naturalization process to regain U.S. Citizenship, provided you have a way to acquire permanent residence.

29. What is the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP)?

Separate from the Two-Parent Consent requirement for U.S. passport issuance for minors under the age of 14, parents may also request that their children’s names be entered in the U.S. passport name-check system. The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program provides:

Notification to parents of passport applications made on behalf of minor children, and denial of passport issuance if appropriate court orders are on file with CPIAP. For more information, contact the Office of Children’s Issues at 202-736-7000, or, by fax at 202-312-9743. Go to more information on the Office of Children’s Issues.

30. What should I do if my baby is born abroad?

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. Citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad, is a basic U.S. Citizenship document. An original Form FS-240 document will be given to you at the time the registration is approved.