B1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I apply for extension of stay on B-1 US business visa?

You may be granted extensions of temporary stay in increments of not more than six months each, except for applicants of a religious denomination coming temporarily and solely to do missionary work on behalf of a religious denomination may be granted extensions of not more than one year each, provided that such work does not involve the selling of articles or the solicitation or acceptance of donation.

7. How do I apply for extension of stay on B-1 visa?

You have to fill in USCIS Form I-539, Extension of stay/change of status and submit it at the appropiate USCIS Service Center.

Note: The decision to grant or deny a request for extension of stay solely rests with the USCIS.

Check My Eligibility

8. How many weeks before the expiry of my I-94 should I apply for extension of stay?

If you wish to extend your stay on B-1 visa you should apply between 15 to 45 days of the date of expiry of the I-94. It is advisable to apply one month (30 days) before the I-94 expires.

9. Can I study on B-1 visa?

No, you may not study on B-1 visa. Enrollment in any course of study is prohibited. You violate the conditions of your US business visa if you enroll in a course of study.

10. If I wish to enroll in any course of study, while on B-1 visa, what should I do?

As a foreign national if you wish to enroll in a course of study, you must either obtain an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant visa from a consular officer abroad and seek readmission to the U.S., or apply for and obtain a change of status under section 248 of the INA Act and 8 CFR part 248. You cannot enroll in the course of study until the Service has admitted you as an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant or has approved the application under 8 CFR part 248 and changed your status to that of an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant.