B2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is a B-2 tourist visa to US?

The B-2 tourist visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the U.S. temporarily for activities like tourism, visiting friends and relatives, medical care, participation in conventions, conferences, or convocations of fraternal or social organizations, participation by amateurs in musical, sports and similar events.

2. How do I qualify for tourist visa?

To qualify for tourist visa, you must demonstrate that:

  1. The purpose of your trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment
  2. You plan to remain in the U.S. for a specific, limited period
  3. You have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties, which will insure your return abroad at the end of the visit
Check My Eligibility

3. Who are ineligible for B-2 visa?

The nonimmigrant visa application USCIS Form DS-160 lists classes of persons who are ineligible under U.S. law to receive visas. In some instances an applicant who is ineligible, but who is otherwise properly classifiable as a visitor, may apply for a waiver of ineligibility and be issued a visa if the waiver is approved.

4. How long can I stay in the U.S. on B-2 visa?

The lenght of time granted upon entry can vary, but immigration inspectors will typically grant an authorized period of stay of six months.

5. Can I apply for change of status on B-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for change of status from a B-2 tourist visa to another nonimmigrant category provided you can prove that you had no preconceived intent to change status. If you intend to change status to F-1, M-1 or J-1 , you must state your intent while applying for the B-2 visa.