B2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. My passport containing a valid B visa has expired and I've obtained a new passport. Do I need a new visa now?

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used, provided you carry a valid passport of the same nationality along with the expired passport.

Note: When canceling your old passport, if the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport and in doing so, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the U.S.

17. My passport will expire soon. Do I need to get a new passport or visa?

While visa regulations state that a passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your stay, the U.S. government may consider your passport to be valid until you depart the U.S.

Note: If you are traveling visa free and your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted only until the date the passport expires.

Check My Eligibility

18. My group has a collective passport. Can the authorities issue one visa for the entire group?

As all nonimmigrant visa applicants receive individual visas, it is no longer possible to issue visas to a group of people traveling on a collective passport.

19. I have a B2 tourist visa. Do I also need a return ticket?

If you hold a B2 tourist visa, you are not required to hold a return ticket; you may enter the U.S. on a one way ticket. However, if you do not have a round trip ticket you may have more difficulty in proving the temporary nature of your stay.

20. What should I do after I receive B-2 visa?

Check the accuracy of all the data on your B-2 visa, including name, date of birth, passport number, gender, and photo. Inform the Consular Section personnel of any errors.