E1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Can I bring my dependents on E-1 visa?

Yes, you may bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years to stay along with you. They may stay in the U.S. as long as you maintain your E-1 status. You may bring a domestic or personal servant on nonimmigrant status, provided you can show that:

  1. He or she is not abandoning his or her residence abroad
  2. He or she has served you for at least one year, or has had an ongoing employment relationship with you and has at least one year of experience as a servant

12. Can my dependents work on E-1 visa?

Yes, your spouse may seek employment by applying for Employment Authorization using Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. However, your childresn are not allowed to work

Check My Eligibility

13. Can my dependents study on E-1 visa?

Yes, your dependents may attend U.S. schools, colleges and universities on E visa, and do not have to apply for separate student visa such as an F-1 visa.

14. How do I apply for E-1 visa?

The following documents are required while applying for E-1 visa:

  1. Completed and signed Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. Completed and signed Form DS-156E, Treaty or Trader Investor Application
  3. Documents which establish the identity of your company’s nationality
  4. A letter from your employer detailing your position and stating that you possess highly specialized skills essential for the efficient operation of the firm or that you are an executive or manager
  5. Evidence of substantial trade for at least one year between the U.S. and your home country
  6. Other documents relevant to your case, such as marriage and birth certificates of you and your family members
  7. A passport valid for travel to the U.S. with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay
  8. Color passport style photographs (37 x 37mm) for each member listed in the visa application. The picture should be taken before a light background with the head uncovered

15. Where should I file my E-1 visa application?

  1. If you are in a lawful status in the U.S., submit the visa application to a USCIS Service Center office in the U.S.
  2. If you are outside the U.S., submit the visa application to the U.S. consular office in your home country