E2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Can I study on E-2 visa?

Yes, you may study on E-2 visa, however, you may not join a full length program like an F-1. You may take up a few credits at a university when they do not harm the primary interest of the visa.

12. Can I bring my dependents on E-2 visa?

Yes, you may bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age 21 years to stay along with you. They may stay in the U.S. as long as you maintain a valid E-2 status. You may also bring a domestic or personal servant on nonimmigrant status, provided you can show that:

  1. He or she is not abandoning their residence abroad
  2. He or she has worked for you for at least one year, or has had an ongoing employment relationship with you and has at least one year of experience as a servant
Check My Eligibility

13. Can my dependents work on E-2 visa?

Yes, your spouse may seek employment by applying for Employment Authorization using Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. However, your children are not allowed to work in the U.S.

14. Can my dependents study on dependent E-2 status?

Yes, your dependents may attend U.S. schools, colleges and universities, and do not have to apply for separate student visa such as an F-1 visa.

15. How do I apply for E2 visa?

The following documents should be presented, when applying for an E-2 visa:

  1. Completed and signed Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. Completed and signed Form DS-156E, Treaty or Trader Investor Application
  3. Documents that establishing the nationality of your company
  4. A letter from your employer detailing your position and stating that you possess highly specialized skills essential for the efficient operation of the firm
  5. Evidence of investment in the U.S.
  6. Other documents relevant to the case such as marriage and birth certificates of you and your family members
  7. A passport valid for travel to the U.S and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay
  8. Color passport style photograph (37 x 37mm) for each member listed in the visa application. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering