E2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Where should I file my E-2 visa application?

  1. If you are in a lawful status in the U.S., submit the visa application to a USCIS Service Center in the U.S.
  2. If you are outside the U.S., submit the visa application to the U.S. consular office in your home country

17. What is the processing time for E2 visas?

The processing time for E-2 visas is generally between two and four weeks from the filing of the application, however, it may take longer in some Consular posts. This may vary depending upon the work load in the U.S. Consulate you choose to apply.

Check My Eligibility

18. Can I apply for Green Card while on E-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for Green Card while in the U.S. through the following options:

  1. Family Based Immigration: If you have close relatives who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, the relatives may file an immigration petition for you as the beneficiary
  2. Employment Based Immigration (Labor Certification): You can attain immigrant status through employment-based immigration. You may find an employer who is willing to file a Labor Certificate for you with the DOL
  3. EB-1: You may also file an immigration petition based on the classification of ‘Alien of Extraordinary Ability’ – EB-1(A) or ‘Multinational Executive or Manager’ – EB-1(C)
  4. National Interest Waiver: You can also file an immigration petition through a National Interest Waiver (NIW). National Interest Waivers are available to foreign nationals who are seeking work in a profession and who have an advanced degree (or equivalent experience) or can prove themselves as ‘aliens of exceptional ability’, and who can show that their work will substantially benefit the U.S. interest.