E3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is an E-3 visa?

The E-3 is a new visa category only for Australians going to the U.S. to work temporarily in a specialty occupation.

2. Why are only Australians eligible for this visa?

The legislation limited the E-3 to nationals of Australia.

Check My Eligibility

3. Are Australian permanent residents eligible to apply for the E-3 visa?

No. The E-3 visa is only available to Australian citizens or nationals, Australian permanent residents are not eligible for the E-3 visa. You must have an Australian passport at the time of your E-3 visa interview.

  1. Minister of religion
  2. Working in a professional capacity, either in a religious vocation or occupation
  3. Other religious worker working in a religious occupation or in a religious vocation

4. How do I qualify for the E-3 visa?

The new E-3 visa classification currently applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. To qualify for an E-3 visa you must demonstrate that:

  1. You have a legitimate offer of employment in the U.S.
  2. The position you are coming to fill qualifies as specialty occupation employment
  3. Are an Australian citizen
  4. You have the necessary academic or other qualifying credentials
  5. Your stay will be temporary
  6. If required before you may commence employment in the specialty occupation, that you have the necessary license or other official permission to practice in the specialty occupation
  7. An approved Labor Condition Application is required and no more than 10,500 E-3 visas can be issued per year

5. Do I have to have a job in the US first before applying for an E-3 visa?

Yes. You need to have a job offer from a US employer before you can apply for an E-3 visa.