E3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

31. How long can I stay in the U.S. after I finish my job?

ou can stay for up to 10 days after you finish your job.

32. Can I travel outside the U.S. while on my E-3 visa?

Yes. The E-3 visa is a multiple-entry visa, so provided you have not changed employers, or made any other changes to your E-3 status, you may travel outside the US and reenter on a valid, unexpired E-3 visa.

Check My Eligibility

33. Can I be self-employed under the E-3 visa?

No. You cannot be either self-employer or an independent contractor while you are in the US on an E-3 visa. You must have a US employer as your sponsor.

34. What are the benefits of the E-3 visa?

The benefits of the E-3 visa include:

  1. Unlike most other temporary employment visas, your E-3 visa sponsor/employer does not need to submit a petition to the USCIS. This makes the E-3 visa preferable to the H-1B because you do not need a petition approved by the USCIS prior to applying for an E-3 visa stamp at a US consulate.
  2. The application process for the E-3 visa is relatively easy when compared to the H-1B visa. It is generally assumed that you can obtain your E-3 visa within a week of your interview at the US Consulate.
  3. You can apply for to change status between H-1B and E-3 visa status.
  4. There is no limitation on the number of years you remain in E-3 status as long as you can prove that you do not intend to remain in the US permanently.
  5. Extensions of an E-3 visa will not be counted against the annual E-3 visa cap.
  6. Spouses of E-3 visa holders can apply for employment authorization and work in the US.

35. What are the limitations of E-3 visa?

The E-3 visa has certain limitations:

  1. There are a maximum of 10,500 E-3 visas issued during each fiscal year (October 1st to September 30). However, dependents of E-3 visa holders are not counted against this cap limit. The cap only applies to the principal E-3 visa holder.
  2. The E-3 visa does not support the doctrine of “dual intent,” i.e., you cannot be seeking permanent resident status in the US while you are trying to extend your E-3 visa status.