H1B1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is H-1B1 Visa?

he H-1B1 visa is a temporary employment visa, similar to the H-1B, for persons in “specialty occupations.” This new category was created by the US-Chile Free Trade Agreement and the US-Singapore Free Trade Agreement. H-1B1 temporary workers are defined as persons who will perform services in specialty occupations on a temporary basis.

2. What is 'specialty occupation' for the purposes of H-1B1 visa?

A “specialty occupation,” for purposes of the H-1B1 visa, has been defined as an occupation that requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge which is generally obtained through the attainment of least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.

Check My Eligibility

3. Is there a limit on the number of H-1B1 visas?

Yes. The H-1B1 category has numerical limits that come out of the 65,000 H1B cap. 1,400 H-1B1 visa numbers are available for citizens of Chile, and 5,400 are set aside for citizens or nationals of Singapore.

4. Why are only Nationals of Chile and Singapore eligible for this visa?

The H-1B1 is only available to citizens of Chile and Singapore because they are based on treaties between the US and those countries. The US entered into Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with Singapore and Chile on September 3, 2003, both of which provided for a new class of non-immigrant work visa for Singaporean and Chilean citizens: the H1B1.

5. What are the main requirements for an H-1B1 visa for Singaporeans?

The main requirements for an H-1B1 visa for Singaporeans are:

  1. You must be a citizen of Singapore.
  2. The position in the US must be a “specialty occupation;” that is, it must require the theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge. Some examples of specialty occupations are jobs in the fields of engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, computer sciences, medicine and health care, education, biotechnology, and business specialties such as management and human resources.
  3. You must have a post-secondary degree involving at least four year of study in your field of specialization (although there are some exceptions to this requirement). Please note also that even if you do not possess a post-secondary degree, you may be able to qualify under the rules for equivalent work experience.
  4. You cannot be self-employed or an independent contractor.
  5. The period of employment in the US must be temporary, so you must demonstrate nonimmigrant intent.