H1B1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Can I change employers while I am on an H-1B1 visa?

Yes. However, the H-1B1 visa is employer specific; therefore, you cannot change employers until you have a change of status/employer petition approved by the USCIS or you obtain a new visa at a US consulate outside the US.

17. What is the processing time for an H-1B1 visa?

The wait times at each Consulate vary. The visa will generally be issued the day after your appointment with the US Consulate (though the actual procedure may vary by Consulate). Petitions for change of status or extension of stay submitted to USCIS generally take 4-5 months to be approved.

Check My Eligibility

18. Can my spouse and children accompany me to the US?

Yes. Your spouse and children can accompany you to the US on an H-4 visa.

19. Can my parents accompany me to the US?

No. Only spouses and children of the principal H-1B1 visa holder can accompany you to the US in H-4 status. Your parents and other family members are not eligible for the derivative H-4 visas, but may apply for visitor visas.

20. Can my dependants work on H-4 visa?

No, spouses of H-1B1 visa holders cannot accept employment in the US. They may work in the US only if they qualify for a work visa on their own. However, they can enroll and attend schools in the U.S. without obtaining a student visa.