H3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is H3 visa?

The H-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. to receive training in a U.S. company. However, you may not come for a graduate program or medical training, and the training cannot be available in the trainee’s home country.

Note: Special Exchange Visitors may also apply for nonimmigrant visas under the H-3 category. A Special Exchange Visitor is one who seeks to enter the U.S. to gain practical training in educating children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. The foreign national must have a foreign residence that he/she has no intention of abandoning, and may stay in the U.S. for up to 18 months. Only 50 foreign nationals per year may enter into the U.S. in the Special Exchange Visitor category.

2. How do I qualify for H3 visa?

To qualify for H-3 visa, you must be coming to the U.S. to receive training in areas such as commerce, agriculture, government, professions, finance, agriculture, or in an industrial establishment. You must prove that:

  1. You are not receiving graduate medical education or training in the U.S.
  2. You do not have the opportunity to receive similar training in your home country
  3. You need this training to advance your career outside the U.S.
  4. You will not be productively employed unless it is necessary to the training
  5. The training offered does not employ U.S. citizen and resident workers
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on H-3 visa?

On H-3 visa, you may:

  1. Enter into the U.S. and get trained in a professional capacity for a temporary period
  2. Travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. continuously during the validity of your H-3 visa
  3. Bring your dependent spouse as well as unmarried children under 21 on H-4 visa

4. What are the limitations of H3 work visa?

The limitations of H3 work visa are:

  1. The training program must be provided by the U.S. company which petitions for the foreign national
  2. Physicians are ineligible for the H-3 classification to receive any type of medical training or education
  3. If the H-3 visa holder remains in the U.S. for the maximum period of time, (s)he may not seek a change of status, extension, or readmission to the U.S. in H or L status until (s)he has resided outside of the U.S. for a period of six months
  4. Dependants of H-3 visa holders may not work in the U.S

    5. Can I extend my stay on H-3 visa?

    No, you may not apply for extension of stay on H-3 visa. Upon the completion of the period of stay you are supposed to leave the U.S. as there is no extension facility for this visa.