H3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I change status while on H-3 visa?

Yes, you may apply for change of status while on H-3 visa. If you are taking up a job, have your employer file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, at the USCIS Regional Service Center with jurisdiction over your case if you are trying to change to H-1B or TN. Make sure your employer files for your spouse and children on Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status.

7. Are there any travel restrictions on H-3 visa?

No, there are no travel restrictions on H-3 visa. You may travel as many number of times as required before the expiry of your H-3 status. The USCIS also does not impose any time limit on your stay abroad.

Check My Eligibility

8. What is the validity of H-3 visa?

The H-3 visa for a foreign national:

  1. Trainee may be valid for a period of up to two years
  2. Participant in a special education training program may be valid for up to 18 months

9. Can I study or work on H-3 visa?

Yes, you may take a few credits at a university which might support your training program. However, you may not join a full length course like an F-1 visa holder. Your employment should be limited to minimum hours and should be in the field of the training program.

10. Can I bring my dependents on H-3 visa?

Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old may accompany you on H-4 visa and they may stay as long as you are on valid H-3 status.