R1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

1. What is R-1 religious worker visa?

The R-1 religious worker visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals in religious occupations to enter into the U.S. and perform the duties of a religious worker.

2. Who is eligible for R-1 visa?

You must be a foreign national who, for at least the two years immediately preceding the time of application for admission, have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the U.S.

Check My Eligibility

3. How can I qualify as religious worker for R-1 visa?

To qualify for R-1 visa, you must be one of the following:

  1. Minister of religion
  2. Working in a professional capacity, either in a religious vocation or occupation
  3. Other religious worker working in a religious occupation or in a religious vocation

4. What privileges do I enjoy on R-1 visa?

On R-1 visa, you may:

  1. Engage in full time study in the U.S.
  2. Travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  3. Receive payment for services performed
  4. Apply for Green Card
  5. Apply for R-2 dependent visa for your spouse and unmarried children below 21 years

5. What are the limitations of R-1 visa?

On R-1 visa, you may:

  1. Receive payment only from the religious organization through which the status was obtained
  2. Take your dependents with you to the U.S. but they may not work