R1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

11. What are the documents required for R-1 visa?

The documents required for R-1 visa are:

  1. Filled in Form I-129 nonimmigrant visa application with supporting documents
  2. Proof that you are working as a minister of religion, or in a religious vocation or occupation, for a bona-fide, non-profit religious organization or denomination that is exempt from taxation
  3. Proof that you have been a member of the religious organization for at least two years prior to your application
  4. A contract from the employer in the U.S proof, such as bank statements, that the employer is able to support the applicant above the poverty line
  5. Recommendation letters to further support your case
  6. IRS-supplied proof of the tax-exempt status of the religious organization in the U.S.
  7. Evidence that you are qualified for the work designated in the U.S.
  8. Documents showing arrangements for financial support.

12. Can I apply for Green Card while on R-1 status?

Yes, you may apply for Green Card. To adjust status you must file:

  1. Form I-360 application for special immigrant and obtain approval
  2. Form I-485 application for adjustment of status when priority date for Form I-360 is current
Check My Eligibility

13. What type of visa will my dependents require?

You may apply for R-2 visa for your spouse and unmarried children below 21 years.

14. Can my dependents study on R-2 visa?

Yes, your dependents may engage in full time study in the U.S.

15. Can my dependents work on R-2 visa?

No, your dependents may not work on R-2 visa.