Marriage To A US Citizen

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. On what visa can I enter the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen?

To enter into the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen you need a K-1 fiance visa. Your U.S. citizen fiance must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center with jurisdiction over their residence. Once the petition is approved, the USCIS will forward the approved petition, through the National Visa Center, to a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country which will schedule an interview for a fiancé visa.

2. Will my K-1 status automatically change to permanent resident status after I marry my U.S. citizen fiance?

No, your K-1 status does not automatically change to legal permanent resident after your marriage with your U.S. citizen fiance. you need to file for Adjustment of Status to become a legal permanent resident after you marry your U.S. citizen fiance.

Check My Eligibility

3. Can I apply for legal permanent resident status before marrying my U.S. citizen fiance?

No, you may not apply for a Green Card before marrying your U.S. citizen fiance. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) needs proof of your marriage when you file for a Green Card.

Note: Your permanent resident status is based on your marriage to your U.S. citizen fiance.

4. How can I stay in the U.S. and await my Green Card after marrying my permanent resident fiance?

You may stay in the U.S. while awaiting your green Card after marrying your permanent resident fiance only if you have a nonimmigrant visa that is valid throughout the waiting period.

5. What is the processing time for a marriage to U.S. citizen based Green Card?

The processing time for a marriage based Green Card varies depending on the Service Center where your petition has been filed. The process may take up to 12-18 months.