Third Country National Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is Third Country National visa application?

A Third Country National visa is a visa application or a visa obtained from a U.S. consulate in a country other than your home country.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a visa as Third Country National?

Foreign nationals who have never been out of status in the U.S. are eligible to apply for a TCN visa. In other words, you must not have remained in the U.S. longer than the period authorized by the Immigration Officer when you entered the U.S. in any visa category.

Check My Eligibility

3. Who is ineligible to apply for Temporary Protected Status?

What are the documents required to apply for a visa as a Third Country National?

  1. Completed Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. Completed Form DS-157, Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application, for all male applicants between the ages of 16 and 45, regardless of nationality
  3. Valid passport
  4. Recent passport photograph of yourself
  5. Visa application fee
  6. Previous I-94s, Arrival-Departure Records obtained since you last entered the U.S.
  7. Proof of documentation of valid legal status since you last entered the U.S.
  8. Approval notice for visa status you are seeking (if approval by USCIS is required)
  9. Proof of ties to your home country

4. Is it easier to apply as a Third Country National for a visa rather than at a U.S. consulate located in my home country?

No, you are more likely to encounter difficulties at the time of the interview when you apply for a U.S. visa outside your home country. Consular officers at border posts will deny visas whenever they believe there are fraud indicators present, or their lack of knowledge of local conditions, and familiarity with documents in your home country prevents them from properly adjudicating the case.

5. Is there a difference between going to Canada or Mexico to obtain a Third Country National visa?

Yes, to obtain a visa as a Third Country National from a U.S. consulate located in Canada, you are generally required to obtain a Canadian visa to enter Canada. You do not need a Mexican visa to enter Mexico if you travel within 30 miles of the U.S. border, and there are U.S. consulates located within 30 miles of the U.S. border.