P2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is P-2 visa?

The P-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign troupes or bands to enter into the U.S. and perform as part of an exchange program.

2. How do I qualify for P-2 visa?

To qualify for P-2 visa, you must be coming temporarily to the U.S. to perform as an entertainer or artist. You may be coming as:

  1. Part of a group, or
  2. Individually as part of a reciprocal exchange
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on P-2 visas?

On P-2 visa, you may:

  1. Enter the U.S. and perform for payment or prize money
  2. Engage in part time study
  3. Apply for visas for accompanying essential support personnel
  4. Apply for P-4 visas for dependents

4. What are the limitations of P-2 visa?

The limitations of P-2 visa are:

  1. You may work for multiple employers, however, each employer must file a separate Form I-129
  2. P-2 programs must be reciprocal in nature
  3. Dependents are allowed to stay in the U.S. with you, but may not work

5. How long can I stay in the U.S. on P-2 work visa?

You may be allowed to stay in the U.S. for up to one year on P-2 visa.

6. Can I extend my stay on P-2 artist exchange visa?

Yes, you may apply for extension of stay on P-2 artist exchange visa. Extensions may be authorized in increments of one year for P-2 exchange program performers to continue or complete the same event or activity for which you were admitted.

7. Can I study on P-2 work visa?

Yes, you may engage in part time study on P-2 visa.

8. Are there any travel restrictions on P-2 visa?

No, you may travel in and out of the U.S. as long as your visa stamp and status are valid.

9. What are the documents required for P-2 petition for exchange program performers?

The petition filed by the employer must include:

  1. A copy of the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the U.S. organization or organizations which sponsor the foreign nationals and an organization or organizations in a foreign country which will receive the U.S. artist or entertainers
  2. A statement from the sponsoring organization describing the reciprocal exchange of U.S. artists or entertainers as it relates to the specific petition for which P-2 classification is being sought
  3. Evidence that an appropriate labor organization in the U.S. was involved in negotiating, or has concurred with, the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and foreign artists or entertainers
  4. Evidence that the foreign nationals for whom P-2 classification is being sought and the U.S. artists or entertainers subject to the reciprocal exchange agreement are artists or entertainers with comparable skills, and that the terms and conditions of employment are similar

10. Can I bring my dependents on P-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for P-4 visa for your spouse and unmarried children below 21 years.

11. Can my dependents work on P-4 visa?

No, your dependents may not work on P-4 visa. They may not be employed or receive compensation from any U.S. source

12. Can my dependents study on P-4 visa?

Yes, your dependents may engage in full time study on P-4 visa.

13. Can I apply for adjustment of status from P-2?

Yes, you may apply for adjustment of status and lawfully seek to become a permanent resident of the U.S.

Note: This provision does not include essential support personnel.