Immigration Dictionary

Legal Terms Explained In Plain English

I VisaRepresentative of Foreign Information Media, Spouse and Child.
I-102Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Record. For a nonimmigrant to apply for a new or replacement Form I-94 or I-95 Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document.
I-129Petition for A Nonimmigrant Worker. Employers may use this form to petition for an alien to come to the U.S. temporarily to perform services or labor, or to receive training, as an H-1B, H-1C, H-2B, H-3, L-1, O-1, P-1, P-2, P-3, or Q-1 nonimmigrant worker. Employers may also use this form to petition for an extension of stay or change of status for an alien as an E-1, E2, R-1 or TN nonimmigrant.
I-129 Supplement 1Supplement to Petition for a Nonimmigrant Visa.
I-129EE Supplement to I-129.
I-129FPetition for Alien Fiance(e). This form is used to petition to bring fiance(e) and that person's children to the United States for marriage or to bring spouse and that person's children (K-3 and K-4 visas, respectively) to the United States to complete processing for permanent resident status.
I-129SNonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition. For employers to classify employees as L-1 nonimmigrant intra-company transferees (executives, managers, or specialized knowledge professionals) under a blanket L petition.
I-129WPetition for Nonimmigrant Worker Filing Fee Exemption. This form is an addendum to Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. It is used to collect information about the H-1B nonimmigrant worker and the H-1B petitioner (U.S. employer). It is also used to determine whether the H-1B petitioner is exempt from the additional filing fee of $1000 imposed by the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act.
I-130Petition for Alien Relative.
I-131Application for Travel Document. This form is used to apply for an INS Travel Document, reentry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole.
I-134Affidavit of Support. This form is to file a promise with the Service to support an alien entering the United States and that the alien will not become a public charge. A separate affidavit must be filed by the sponsor for each person.
I-140Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. This form is to petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States. This form is filed on behalf of an alien, and not by the alien.
I-17Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student.
I-175Application for Nonresident Alien's Canadian Border Crossing Card.
I-190Application for Nonresident Alien Mexican Border Crossing Card.
I-191Application for Permission to Return to an Unrelinquished Domicile. For a legal permanent resident of the United States to apply for permission to return to their home in the United States after time spent outside the United States.
I-192Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant. For an alien who is otherwise not permitted to enter the United States to apply for permission to temporarily enter the United States.
I-193Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa. For an alien who is a legal resident of the United States to reenter the United States without the alien's passport and/or visa.
I-212Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the U.S. after Deportation or Removal. Persons who wish to enter the United States legally after being deported, removed or who have voluntarily departed the U.S. without an order of deportation may reapply for admission to the United States, if they meet certain qualifications.
I-246Application for Stay of Deportation or Removal. This form is to obtain a stay of deportation or removal if you have been ordered deported or removed from the United States.
I-290BNotice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU). This form is used to notify the INS that you are appealing an adverse decision regarding your case to the Administrative Appeals Unit.
I-352Immigration Bond. This form is used to contract with an individual who has guaranteed that an alien will either (1) appear as required at a specified location, (2) will voluntarily depart the United States by a certain date, or (3) will not become a "public charge".
I-360Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant.
I-361Affidavit of Financial Support and Intent to Petition for Legal Custody. The form is filed as an agreement to provide financial support for a five year period for an Amerasian or to petition a court for legal custody of an Amerasian under 18 years of age.
I-408Application to Pay Off or Discharge Alien Crew. This form is used by the owner, agent, master or commanding officer of a vessel or aircraft seeking authorization to pay off or discharge crewmembers in the United States. No alien crewmember on a vessel or aircraft, except for those admitted for lawful permanent residence, may be discharged or paid off in the United States without prior authorization.
I-485Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status.
I-485 Supplement ASupplement A to Form I-485.This form is to provide supplemental information to the INS on persons seeking to adjust status under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
I-485 Supplement BForm I-485 Instructions for NACARA. This form provides additional instructions to the form I-485 as it relates to certain nationals of Nicaragua and Cuba.
I-485 Supplement CInstructions to Supplement C to Form I-485 (HRIFA). Provides additional information and instructions to nationals of Haiti who are seeking lawful permanent resident status pursuant to HRIFA.
I-485 Supplement DLIFE Legalization Supplement to the Form I-485 Instructions. This form provides additional instructions to the Form I-485 as it relates to certain class action applicants applying for adjustment of status pursuant to section 1104 of the LIFE Act and section 1503 of the LIFE Act Amendments.
I-526Immigrant Petition By Alien Entrepreneur. For use by an entrepreneur who wishes to immigrate to the United States.
I-538Certification by Designated School Official. This form is used to certify aliens seeking off-campus employment as a student and that the employment is related to the student alien's field of study.
I-539Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status. This form is used by some nonimmigrants to request extensions of stay or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category.
I-539 Supplement AFiling Instructions for V Nonimmigrant Status. These instructions are used by persons seeking V nonimmigrant status while in the United States or extension of V status.
I-566Interagency Record of individual Requesting Change/Adjustment to or from A or G Status. This form is used to apply for dependent employment authorization as an eligible A-1, A-2, G-1, G-3, G-4, or NATO dependent; or applying for a change or adjustment of status to, or from, A or G status.
I-589Application for Asylum. This form is used to apply for asylum in the United States and for withholding of removal (formerly called "withholding of deportation").
I-600Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. This form is to classify an alien orphan who either is, or will be, adopted by a U.S. citizen as an immediate relative of the U.S. citizen to allow the child to enter the U.S. The petition is filed by the U.S. citizen who is adopting the child.
I-600AApplication for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition. To speed part of the processing for an orphan petition relating to the petitioner before an orphan (who will be adopted by the U.S. citizen filing the application) is located.
I-601Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability. For an alien who is ineligible to enter the United States to apply for a waiver of excludability.
I-602Application By Refugee For Waiver of Grounds of Excludability. For a refugee who has been found inadmissable to the United States for reasons such as felony conviction or health conditions to apply for a waiver of such inadmissability on grounds of humanitarian reasons, family unity or national interest.
I-612Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement. For certain exchange workers ( J-1 and J-2 visas) and their families to apply for a waiver of the requirement that they reside outside the United States for at least two years prior to returning or leaving the United States.
I-643Health and Human Services Statistical Data for Refugee/Asylee Adjusting Status. This form is used to provide statistical data to the Department of Health and Human Services regarding refugees or asylees who wish to adjust to immigrant status in the United States.
I-68Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit.
I-690Application for Waiver of Excludability. Individuals who are inadmissable to the United States but have applied for legal residency under Sections 245A or 210 of the Immigration and Nationality Act may request a waiver of the grounds of excludability for humanitarian, family unity, or national interest reasons.
I-693Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. This form is used to certify the health of an alien seeking to adjust status as a visitor or immigrant to the United States.
I-694Notice of Appeal of Decision. This form is used to notify the Immigration and Naturalization Service that an alien denied permanent residence, temporary residence or a waiver of grounds of excludability under the amnesty program provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) is appealing the decision to the Commissioner of INS.
I-695Application for Replacement Employment Authorization or Temporary Residence Card. This form is used to apply for a replacement employment authorization card or temporary residence card under the amnesty program provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA).
I-698Application to Adjust Status From Temporary to Permanent Resident. This form is used to apply for adjustment to permanent resident status under the amnesty program provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA).
I-730Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. If you have been admitted to the United States as a refugee or if you were granted status in the United States as an asylee within the previous two years, you may request follow-to-join benefits for your spouse and/or unmarried children under 21 years of age.
I-751Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence. This form is used by a conditional resident who obtained status through marriage to apply to remove the conditions on his or her residence.
I-765Application for Employment Authorization. Certain aliens who are temporarily in the United States may file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Other aliens who are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions should also used this form to apply to the INS for a document evidencing such authorization.
I-765DLiberian Deferred Enforced Departure Supplement to I-765.
I-817Application for Family Unity Benefits. This form is for requesting initial benefits under the Family Unity Program, or to request an extension of such benefits.
I-821Application for Temporary Protected Status. This form is to apply for a temporary immigration status granted to eligible nationals of designated countries
I-821A PackageForms and Instructions for TPS for Nicaraguans and Hondurans. This form is to apply for a temporary immigration status granted to eligible nationals of Nicaragua and Honduras.
I-823Application - Inspections Facilitation Program.
I-824Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition. This form will be used to request a duplicate approval notice, to request approval notice to another U.S. Consulate; and to request notice to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas to family members.
I-829Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. This form is used by a conditional permanent resident who obtained such status through entrepreneurship to remove the conditions on his or her residence.
I-847Report of Complaint.
I-855ABC Change of Address. This is a change of address form for people who have applied for TPS or for benefits under American Baptist Churches and have a different address from the address on their registration application.
I-864Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act. This form is used to show that an intending immigrant has adequate means of financial support and is not likely to become a public charge.
I-864 PackageAffidavit of Support Package (Forms I-864, I-864A, I-864P and I-865).
I-864AAffidavit of Support Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. This contract is intended to benefit the sponsored immigrant(s) and any agency of the Federal Government, any agency of a State or local government, or any private entity to which the sponsor has an obligation under the affidavit of support to reimburse for benefits granted to the sponsored immigrant. This contract may be enforced in any court with appropriate jurisdiction. By signing this form, a household member who is not a sponsored immigrant, agrees to make his or her income and/or assets available to the sponsor to help support the immigrant for whom the sponsor has filed an affidavit of support.
I-864PPoverty Guidelines. This form is used to determine the minimum income requirement needed to complete Form I-864, Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
I-865Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address. This form is to report a sponsor's new address and/or residence.
I-866Application Checkpoint Pre-enrolled Access Lane. To permit individuals to apply to participate in the Pre-enrolled Access Lane (PAL) program for the Immigration and Naturalization Service checkpoints.
I-876Election Form to Participate in Employment Eligibility Confirmation Pilot Programs. This form is required if an employer wish to be considered for participation in a pilot, but does not obligate the employer to participate, nor does it obligate INS to select the employer for participation.
I-881NACARA - Suspension of Deportation or Application for Special Rule Cancellation of Removal.
I-9Employment Eligibility Verification. All U.S. employers are responsible for completion and retention of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and non-citizens. On the form, the employer must verify the employment eligibility and identity documents presented by the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. Acceptable documents are listed on the back of the form, and detailed below under "Special Instructions."
I-90Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This form is to renew an expiring or expired green card or replace a lost or damaged card.
I-907Request for Premium Processing Service. Employers may use this form to request faster processing of certain employment-based petitions. Currently, those eligible to request this service are the following categories: E-1, E-2, H-1B, H-2A; H-2B, H-3, L-1, O-1, O-2, P1, P-3, Q-1, R-1, and TN.
I-914Application for T Nonimmigrant Status. This form is to provide temporary immigration benefits to aliens who are victims of severe forms of trafficking in persons, and to their immediate family members, as appropriate.
I-94Arrival-Departure Record.
I-94WNonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival-Departure Record.
IAP-66Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.
Immediate RelativesCertain immigrants who because of their close relationship to US citizens are exempt from the numerical limitations imposed on immigration to the United States. Immediate relatives are: spouses of citizens, children (under 21 years of age and unmarried) of citizens, and parents of citizens 21 years of age or older.
ImmigrantSee Permanent Resident Alien
Immigrant VisaThe Immigrant Visa, also known as Green card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, Form I-151 or I-551, is issued to lawful permanent residents.
Immigration Act of 1990Public Law 101-649 (Act of November 29, 1990), which increased the limits on legal immigration to the United States, revised all grounds for exclusion and deportation, authorized temporary protected status to aliens of designated countries, revised and established new nonimmigrant admission categories, revised and extended the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, and revised naturalization authority and requirements.
Immigration and Nationality ActThe Act (INA), which, along with other immigration laws, treaties, and conventions of the United States, relates to the immigration, temporary admission, naturalization, and removal of aliens.
Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)See U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Immigration JudgeAn attorney appointed by the Attorney General to act as an administrative judge within the Executive Office for Immigration Review. They are qualified to conduct specified classes of proceedings, including removal proceedings.
Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986Public Law 99-639 (Act of 11/10/86), which was passed in order to deter immigration-related marriage fraud. Its major provision stipulates that aliens deriving their immigrant status based on a marriage of less than two years are conditional immigrants. To remove their conditional status the immigrants must apply at an Immigration and Naturalization Service office during the 90-day period before their second-year anniversary of receiving conditional status. If the aliens cannot show that the marriage through which the status was obtained was and is a valid one, their conditional immigrant status may be terminated and they may become deportable.
Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986Public Law 99-603 (Act of 11/6/86), which was passed in order to control and deter illegal immigration to the United States. Its major provisions stipulate legalization of undocumented aliens who had been continuously unlawfully present since 1982, legalization of certain agricultural workers, sanctions for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers, and increased enforcement at US borders.
InadmissibleAn alien seeking admission at a port of entry who does not meet the criteria in the INA for admission. The alien may be placed in removal proceedings or, under certain circumstances, allowed to withdraw his or her application for admission.
International RepresentativeAs a nonimmigrant class of admission, an alien coming temporarily to the United States as a principal or other accredited representative of a foreign government (whether officially recognized or not recognized by the United States) to an international organization, an international organization officer or employee, and all above aliens' spouses and unmarried minor (or dependent) children.
Intracompany TransfereeAn alien, employed for at least one continuous year out of the last three by an international firm or corporation, who seeks to enter the United States temporarily in order to continue to work for the same employer, or a subsidiary or affiliate, in a capacity that is primarily managerial, executive, or involves specialized knowledge, and the alien's spouse and minor unmarried children.
IRCASee Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.