Immigration Dictionary

Legal Terms Explained In Plain English

N-25Request for Verification of Naturalization. This form is for INS to request verification of an individual's naturalization from the court where the oath of naturalization was administered. It is completed by the clerk of the court where the oath was administered.
N-300Application to File Declaration of Intention. This form is for a permanent resident to apply for a Declaration of Intention to become a U.S. citizen. This form is not required for naturalization, but may be required by some States if you wish to conduct certain business with that State.
N-336Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings.
N-4Monthly Report Naturalization Papers.
N-400Application for naturalization.
N-410Application for Motion for Amendment of Petition.
N-426Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service. This form is used by an applicant for naturalization to request that the Department of Defense verify the applicant's military or naval service.
N-455Application for Transfer of Petition for Naturalization.
N-470Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes. This form is for a permanent resident alien who must leave the United States for certain employment purposes and wishes to preserve his/her status as an immigrant in order to pursue naturalization.
N-565Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document. This form is used to apply for a replacement Declaration of Intention, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or Repatriation Certificate, or to apply for a special certificate of naturalization as a U.S. citizen to be recognized by a foreign country.
N-600Application for Certification of Citizenship. This form is for an individual to claim U.S. citizenship based on parentage or marriage.
N-600/N-643 Supp. AApplication for Transmission of Citizenship Through A Grandparent.
N-643Application for Certificate of Citizenship on Behalf of an Adopted Child.
N-644Application for Posthumous Citizenship. Public Law 101-249 provides for the granting of United States citizenship to an alien or non-citizen national whose death resulted from injury or disease incurred on active duty with the United States Armed Forces during specified periods of military hostilities.
N-648Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions. The Immigration and Naturalization Service's (INS) regulations require that applicants seeking an exception from the English and U.S. history and government (civics) requirements for naturalization based on physical or developmental disability or mental impairment submit this certification form, completed by a licensed medical doctor or a licensed clinical psychologist, along with a completed application for naturalization ( Form N-400). This certification form will be used by the INS to determine whether applicants for naturalization are entitled to an exception to the requirements.
N-8 VisaParent of an Alien Classified SK-3 Special Immigrant.
N-9 VisaChild of N-8 or of an SK-1, SK-2, or SK-4 Special Immigrant.
NACARANicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act.
NationalA person owing permanent allegiance to a state.
NATO OfficialAs a nonimmigrant class of admission, an alien coming temporarily to the United States as a member of the armed forces or as a civilian employed by the armed forces on assignment with a foreign government signatory to NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization), and the alien's spouse and unmarried minor (or dependent) children.  
NATO-1 VisaPrincipal Permanent Representative of Member State to NATO (including any of its Subsidiary Bodies) Resident in the U.S. and Resident Members of Official Staff; Secretary General, Assistant Secretary General, and Executive Secretary of NATO; Other Permanent NATO Officials of Similar Rank, or Immediate Family.
NATO-2 VisaOther Representative of member state to NATO (including any of Subsidiary Bodies) including Representatives, its Advisers and Technical Experts of Delegations, Members of Immediate Art. 3, 4 UST 1796 Family; Dependents of Member of a Force Entering in Accordance with the Provisions Status-of-Forces Agreement or in Accordance with the provisions of the Protocol on the Status of International Military Headquarters; Members of Such a Force or Immediate Family if Issued Visas.
NATO-3 VisaOfficial Clerical Staff Accompanying Representative of Member State to NATO (including any of its Subsidiary Bodies) or Immediate Family.
NATO-4 VisaOfficial of NATO (Other Than Those Classifiable as NATO-1) or Immediate Family.
NATO-5 VisaExpert, Other Than NATO Officials Classifiable Under the NATO-4, Employed in Missions on Behalf of NATO, and their Dependents.
NATO-6 VisaMember of a Civilian Component Accompanying a Force Entering in Accordance with the Provisions of the NATO Status-of-Forces Agreement; Member of a Civilian Component Attached to or Employed by an Allied Headquarters Under the Protocol on the Status of International Military Headquarters Set Up Pursuant to the North Atlantic Treaty; and their Dependents.
NATO-7 VisaAttendant, Servant, or Personal Employee of NATO-1, NATO-2, NATO-3, NATO-4, NATO-5, and NATO-6 Classes, or Immediate Family.
NaturalizationThe conferring, by any means, of citizenship upon a person after birth.
Naturalization ApplicationThe form used by a lawful permanent resident to apply for US citizenship. The application is filed with the Immigration and Naturalization Service at the Service Center with jurisdiction over the applicant's place of residence.
NonimmigrantAn alien who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. The alien must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and qualify for the nonimmigrant classification sought. The nonimmigrant classifications include: foreign government officials, visitors for business and for pleasure, aliens in transit through the United States, treaty traders and investors, students, international representatives, temporary workers and trainees, representatives of foreign information media, exchange visitors, fiance(e) of US citizens, intra-company transferees, NATO officials, religious workers, and some others. Most non-immigrants can be accompanied or joined by spouses and unmarried minor (or dependent) children.
Nonimmigrant VisaA nonimmigrant visa is given to someone who lives in another country and wishes to come temporarily to the United States for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrant visas are given to people such as tourists, business people, students, temporary workers, and diplomats.
Nonpreference CategoryNonpreference visas were available to qualified applicants not entitled to a visa under the preferences until the category was eliminated by the Immigration Act of 1990. Nonpreference visas for persons not entitled to the other preferences had not been available since September 1978 because of high demand in the preference categories. An additional 5,000 nonpreference visas were available in each of fiscal years 1987 and 1988 under a provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. This program was extended into 1989, 1990, and 1991 with 15,000 visas issued each year. Aliens born in countries from which immigration was adversely affected by the Immigration and Nationality Act Amendments of 1965 (Public Law 89-236) were eligible for the special nonpreference visas.
North American Free-Trade Agreement (NAFTA)Public Law 103-182 (Act of 12/8/93), superseded the United States-Canada Free-Trade Agreement as of 1/1/94. It continues the special, reciprocal trading relationship between the United States and Canada (see United States-Canada Free-Trade Agreement), and establishes a similar relationship with Mexico.
Numerical Limit, Exempt fromThose aliens accorded lawful permanent residence who are exempt from the provisions of the flexible numerical limit of 675,000 set by the Immigration Act of 1990. Exempt categories include immediate relatives of US citizens, refugees, asylees (limited to 10,000 per year by section 209(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), Amerasians, aliens adjusted under the legalization provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and certain parolees from the former Soviet Union and Indochina.
Nursing Relief Act of 1989Public Law 101-238 (Act of 12/18/89), provides for the adjustment to permanent resident status of certain nonimmigrants who as of September 1, 1989, had H-1 nonimmigrant status as registered nurses; who had been employed in that capacity for at least 3 years; and whose continued nursing employment meets certain labor certification requirements.