Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration News
Changes in immigration that impact your life.

Home  >  Immigration News  >  News Archive  >  USCIS  >  News Article

News Jump: 

Overseas Naturalization Eligibility for Certain Children of U.S. Armed Forces Members
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts
On January 28, 2008, President Bush signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (H.R.4986 / Public Law 110-181). This law amended Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to allow certain eligible children of members of the armed forces to become naturalized U.S. citizens without having to travel to the United States for any part of the naturalization process.

Section 322 provides for the naturalization of minor children of U.S. citizens residing abroad. The general conditions are that at least one parent is a U.S. citizen, that the child is younger than age 18 and resides abroad in the physical and legal custody of that parent, and that parent has been physically present in the United States for a certain period of time. Section 322 requires that in general, the child must be temporarily present in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission in order to complete the naturalization.

The amendments to Section 322 benefit children of U.S. citizen members of the military who are accompanying their parent abroad on official orders. Specifically, Section 322(d) provides that:
  • Such children are not required to have a lawful admission or be present in the U.S.; and

  • The U.S. citizen-parent member of the armed forces may count any period of time they have resided abroad on official orders as physical presence in the United States.
Accordingly, a qualified child of a member of the armed forces, who is on official orders authorizing him or her to accompany and reside with that parent-service member, can file for naturalization from overseas and can proceed with the entire process overseas without being required to travel to the United States.

Section 322(d) benefits are available only to biological and adopted children of U.S. citizen members of the U.S. armed forces; they are not available to step-children of the U.S. citizen parent.

A biological child of the U.S. citizen parent member of the armed forces must meet the requirements in Section 101(c)(1) of the INA. An adopted child must meet the requirements of Section 101(b)(1)(E), (F), or (G) of the INA.

To apply for Citizenship for eligible children who live abroad and meet the requirements under Section 322, follow these instructions:

Application – Submit a completed Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322, with the following items:

Cover Letter – USCIS encourages applicants to include a brief cover letter on top of the application package with the heading “322(d): Child of Military Member Overseas” explaining that the child currently lives overseas and qualifies to naturalize under Section 322(d) of the INA. Also print the full name of the child and their parent(s) and list the current overseas address (both local and APO/FPO). Include the location of the USCIS office overseas most convenient to conduct the interview (for example, “the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt”).

Birth Certificate – Include a photocopy of the child’s birth certificate, showing the relationship to the U.S. citizen parent. If the parent-child relationship is through adoption, then copies of the adoption documents should also be submitted.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship – The parent member of the U.S. armed forces must show proof they are a U.S. citizen. Acceptable forms of evidence include a copy of a valid U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship (A or AA), or Registration of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240).

Photos – Two identical passport-style photos.

Evidence of Residence Abroad– Show that the child resides abroad on official orders with the U.S. citizen-parent member of the armed forces by submitting a copy of the Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders that include the child’s name. If the PCS orders do not specifically name the applicant beyond reference to “child” or “dependent,” then also include a copy of the service member’s Form DD 1172 (DEERS Enrollment), naming the child. Other supporting documents reflecting residence abroad may include school transcripts and medical or dental records.

Fees– Include the correct fee with the application. Application fees depend upon the following factors:
  • For a biological child younger than age 18, submit a check or money order for $460.

  • For an adopted child younger than age 18, submit a check or money order for $420.
  • Make the check or money order made payable to the Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Note: please check local payment procedures.
Mailing Address–USCIS recommends that applicants submit all 322(d) N-600K applications for citizenship to the USCIS overseas office having jurisdiction over the child’s overseas residence, or to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center at the following address:

Nebraska Service Center For private courier deliveries, send to:
P.O. Box 87426
Lincoln, NE 68501-7426
Nebraska Service Center
850 S Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Processing Time – Once the USCIS Nebraska Service Center receives the application, it will generally take between 120 to 180 days to complete its processing, provided all the required background checks have been completed and the applicant has submitted all required documentation. Applicants should save all receipts and notices of action, and always refer to the “A” number or N-600K receipt number when contacting USCIS or when checking the status of their application.

Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

Premium Processing Now Available For Certain Cap-Exempt H1B Petitions
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes Data Entry Of Petitions Selected In H1B Lottery
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes H1B Lottery
FY 2018 H1B Cap Reached!
More >>

Premium Processing Now Available For Certain Cap-Exempt H1B Petitions
Visa Bulletin June 2017: EB-1 China and EB-1 India Retrogress; EB-2 Advances Marginally for China and India
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes Data Entry Of Petitions Selected In H1B Lottery
CBP Global Entry Program Extended To Citizens of Argentina
More >>

News Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!
H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Lottery 2017: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Visa Cap 2017: Things You Must Know
Filing H1B Cap 2018 Petitions:How To Get A Head Start With VisaPro’s H1B Visa 2018 Timeline
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
H-1B Cap Has Reached:How Do You Hire H-1B Cap Exempt Candidates?
2018 H1B Cap Petitions:How To Properly File With USCIS
H1B Cap Exempt – Are You Eligible?
5 Common H1B Cap 2018 Filing Mistakes - How to Avoid Them
H1B Cap 2018 Filing Secrets: Why You Should Plan Now?
More Articles...

Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.