Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration News
Changes in immigration that impact your life.

Home  >  Immigration News  >  News Archive  >  Department of Labor  >  News Article

News Jump: 

Beginning June 1, Land and Sea Travelers Will Require Passport to Enter the US
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

Travel document requirements will soon change for citizens of the United States, Canada and Bermuda who are entering the United States by land or sea. Beginning June 1, 2009, citizens of these countries will be required to present a passport or other acceptable travel document when entering the United States by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region or Bermuda. The new requirements were put in place by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), a border security program.

U.S., Canadian and Bermudian citizens will be required to present one of the following when entering the United States by land or sea on or after June 1, 2009:

  • A valid passport.
  • A valid U.S. passport card (U.S. citizens only).
  • A Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler program card, such as a NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST program card.
  • An enhanced driver's licensed (EDL). EDLs are driver's licenses that require applicants to provide proof of their citizenship or immigration status. Currently, EDLs are issued by some U.S. states and Canadian provinces.
  • A U.S. military identification card, with proof of military travel orders.
  • A U.S. Merchant Marine Document.
  • An enhanced tribal identification card, issued by some Native American tribes.

Children under the age of 16 will be able to enter with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Until June 1, U.S., Canadian and Bermudian citizens will be able to enter the United States by land or sea by presenting a document proving citizenship – such as a birth certificate or citizenship certificate – together with government-issued photo identification, though travelers age 18 and under may enter with proof of citizenship alone.

Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

OFLC Updates Prevailing Wage Data
DOL Issues Final Rule Delaying 2011 H-2B Wage Rule
H-2B Wage Methodology Interim Final Rule Published
DOL announces H-2A and H-2B Electronic Filing Implementation
More >>

US Embassy in Moscow Suspends Nonimmigrant Visa Processing
Premium Processing Now Available For Certain Cap-Exempt H1B Petitions
Visa Bulletin June 2017: EB-1 China and EB-1 India Retrogress; EB-2 Advances Marginally for China and India
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes Data Entry Of Petitions Selected In H1B Lottery
More >>

News Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!
H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Lottery 2017: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Visa Cap 2017: Things You Must Know
Filing H1B Cap 2018 Petitions:How To Get A Head Start With VisaPro’s H1B Visa 2018 Timeline
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
H-1B Cap Has Reached:How Do You Hire H-1B Cap Exempt Candidates?
2018 H1B Cap Petitions:How To Properly File With USCIS
H1B Cap Exempt – Are You Eligible?
5 Common H1B Cap 2018 Filing Mistakes - How to Avoid Them
H1B Cap 2018 Filing Secrets: Why You Should Plan Now?
More Articles...

Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.