Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration News
Changes in immigration that impact your life.

Home  >  Immigration News  >  News Archive  >  USCIS  >  News Article

News Jump: 

U.S. Citizenship through Military Service
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts
Members and certain veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to apply for United States citizenship under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In addition, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) have streamlined the application and naturalization process for military personnel and those who recently discharged. Generally, the qualifying service for the U.S. Citizenship is in one of the following branches: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, certain reserve components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve.


As per USCIS to qualify for the U.S. Citizenship, a member of the U.S. Armed Forces must meet certain requirements. This includes demonstrating:

  • Good moral character;
  • Knowledge of the English language;
  • Knowledge of U.S. government and history (civics); and
  • Attachment to the United States by taking an Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution.
The members of the U.S. Armed Forces who qualify and meet all the requirements for the U.S. Citizenship are exempted from other naturalization requirements, including residency and physical presence in the United States. These exceptions are listed in Sections 328 and 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

All aspects of the naturalization process, including applications, interviews and ceremonies are available overseas to members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

An individual who obtains U.S. citizenship through his or her military service and separates from the military under “other than honorable conditions” before completing five years of honorable service may have his or her citizenship revoked.

Service in Peacetime

Section 328 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) applies to all members of the U.S. Armed Forces or those already discharged from service, to apply for the U.S. Citizenship. An individual may qualify for naturalization if he or she has:

  • Served honorably for at least one year.
  • Obtained lawful permanent resident status.
  • Filed an application while still in the service or within six months of separation.
Service in Wartime

All immigrants who have served honorably on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or as a member of the Selected Ready Reserve on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible to file for immediate U.S. Citizenship under the special wartime provisions in Section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This section also covers veterans of designated past wars and conflicts.

How to Apply

Every military installation has a designated point-of-contact to assist with filing the military naturalization application packet. Once complete, the package is sent to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center for expedited processing. That package will include:

  • Application for Naturalization (USCIS Form N-400) (Members of the military are not charged a fee to file the Form N-400.)
  • Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (USCIS Form N-426)
  • Biographic Information (USCIS Form G-325B)
Posthumous Benefits

  • Section 329A of the INA provides for grants of posthumous citizenship to certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Other provisions of law extend benefits to surviving spouses, children, and parents. A member of the U.S. Armed Forces who served honorably during a designated period of hostilities and dies as a result of injury or disease incurred in, or aggravated by, that service (including death in combat) may receive posthumous citizenship.
  • The service member’s next of kin, the Secretary of Defense, or the Secretary’s designee in USCIS must make this request for posthumous citizenship within two years of the service member’s death.
  • Under section 319(d) of the INA, a spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen, who dies while serving honorably in active-duty status in the U.S. Armed Forces, can file for naturalization if the family member meets naturalization requirements other than residency and physical presence.
  • For other immigration purposes, a surviving spouse (unless he or she remarries), child, or parent of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces who served honorably on active duty and died as a result of combat, and was a citizen at the time of death (including a posthumous grant of citizenship) is considered an immediate relative for two years after the service members dies and may file a petition for classification as an immediate relative during such period. A surviving parent may file a petition even if the deceased service member had not reached age 21.
  • USCIS has given U.S. Citizenship to more than 39,085 members of the U.S. Armed Forces since the beginning of the War on Terror. (September 2001)
  • In October 2004, USCIS hosted the first overseas military naturalization ceremony since the Korean War. During this time and since, USCIS has naturalized more than 5,275 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines during ceremonies in Afghanistan, Djibouti, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kuwait, South Korea, Spain, the United Kingdom and in the Pacific aboard the USS Kitty Hawk.
  • USCIS has granted posthumous citizenship to 115 members of the U.S. Armed Forces stemming from the War on Terror.
  • Historically, the U.S. government has conducted overseas military naturalization ceremonies during times of war. During World War II, 20,011 service members were naturalized overseas. During the Korean War, 7,756 service members were naturalized overseas. Although authorized, no overseas military naturalization ceremonies were held during the Vietnam War.

Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes Data Entry Of Petitions Selected In H1B Lottery
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes H1B Lottery
FY 2018 H1B Cap Reached!
Automatic EAD Extension: Your Questions Answered
More >>

Visa Bulletin June 2017: EB-1 China and EB-1 India Retrogress; EB-2 Advances Marginally for China and India
FY 2018 H1B Cap Update: USCIS Completes Data Entry Of Petitions Selected In H1B Lottery
CBP Global Entry Program Extended To Citizens of Argentina
Impact of ACICS Loss of Accreditation on STEM OPT Extensions
More >>

News Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!
H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Lottery 2017: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Visa Cap 2017: Things You Must Know
Filing H1B Cap 2018 Petitions:How To Get A Head Start With VisaPro’s H1B Visa 2018 Timeline
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
H-1B Cap Has Reached:How Do You Hire H-1B Cap Exempt Candidates?
2018 H1B Cap Petitions:How To Properly File With USCIS
H1B Cap Exempt – Are You Eligible?
5 Common H1B Cap 2018 Filing Mistakes - How to Avoid Them
H1B Cap 2018 Filing Secrets: Why You Should Plan Now?
More Articles...

Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.