Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Newsletters
Latest immigration news delivered to your inbox.

Home  >  Newsletter  >  February 2007

Monthly US Immigration Updates from VisaPro VisaPro US Immigration Services
VisaPro Immigration Services Home Download INS Forms Immigration Message Boards - Share, Discuss & Debate USCIS (INS) Processing Times Tips and Procedures About Specific Visas US Immigration Law FAQ
February 2007
Print US Immigration Newsletter Subscribe to Immigration Newsletter Email this Newsletter to a friend

US Immigration Newsletter - From the Editor's Desk

This month the buzz on the Immigration Front is about the new proposed fee structure for fiscal year 2008/2009 introduced by the USCIS. The new fee structure is expected to be based on a new cost model, and is meant both to improve service delivery and enhance the security and integrity of the immigration system. This proposal put forth by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has seen a lot of opposition as the filing fees will be hiked by an average of 66%. We will keep you abreast with the developments on this front in our subsequent issues of Immigration Monitor.

We were overwhelmed with the positive feedback received from our dedicated readers commending our initiative to make you an active part of our Attorneys experiences during the Immigration Seminars and Workshops in India. In this issue, we bring to you his diary from the Workshop in Chennai, the second last event of this exciting series.

Very often we get queries from individuals seeking help on essential aspects to be looked into once you are inside the U.S. The Immigration Article in this issue throws light on a lot of quintessential factors like Social Security Number, Medical Insurance, Driving License, Employment Authorization, etc for people going to the United States on work visas or for those accompanying them. Keep sharing your immigration experiences with us so that we can include your experiences in our articles for the benefit of our other friends.

Start Your Belgium immigration Visa Process Today!
Furthering on our endeavors in bringing the one-stop global immigration service website to you, this month VisaPro has added immigration services to two more European countries. I invite our readers to visit our new Germany Immigration
Start Your Germany immigration Visa Process Today!
and Belgium Immigration websites for information and queries related to immigration needs for these countries.

Our Graphics team has been successful in giving the VisaPro homepage a complete new look! We will bring you a lot from the
U.K. Immigration front in the forthcoming issues. Let me know what you think of our initiatives. Stay tuned as we unfold for you the new additions and happenings throughout this year!

Last months poll question seemed to have generated mixed reactions from our readers. The opinion was again divided. More than half of the participants believed that the USCIS should introduce premium processing for K-1 and K-3 visas. This month we have an interesting question for you to express Your Opinion. So dont miss casting your vote!

Renee Levitt deserves all the congratulations for winning last month's Immigration Quiz. A significant number of participants got confused about the purpose of the Adjustment of Status while in the U.S. Make sure you gear up
and research well for this month's question. Give it a try, your name might feature in the next newsletter. All the Best!

Dont forget to add our address to the list of your contacts so that you see the Immigration Monitor in your email Inbox every month and you will not miss the latest immigration activity.

See you next month with a lot more noise from the Immigration World!

Revised application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS} has revised the Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) to obtain supplemental evidence from alien physicians with National Interest Waivers (NIW).

USCIS Atlanta Office moves to a new location

Effective February 20, 2007, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will move The Atlanta Field Office to a new location. The new office will open to the public on Wednesday, February 21, 2007.

USCIS to reissue RFE for Special Immigrant Religious Workers

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) realized recently that some Requests for Evidence (RFEs) were issued to petitioners for Special Immigrant Religious Workers (Form I-360) and these did not take into account the supporting evidence that was included with the petition.

Read More News

USA Immigration - In Focus

Into almost the last leg of my travel - Workshop in Chennai

This month's IN FOCUS section will journey you through yet another exciting day in our attorneys travelogue: Chennai, our second Immigration Workshop in the immigration events series last year.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Latest News
In Focus
Immigration Article
Processing Times
Discussion Corner
Questions and Answers
Success Stories

Download this Newsletter in PDF Format.



Will the projected fee hike of 66% by the USCIS for fiscal year 2008-2009 have any adverse effect on the immigration to the US?



b. No

Cant say

Cast Your Vote
View Results

Win a FREE Online Consultation!

Submit your answer to the query below. The best response will be published in the next Immigration Monitor and the winner will receive a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of March 2007.

I have to attend a business conference in US next month, I was suggested B-1, am I eligible for B-1? How long can I stay in the US on the B-1 visa and can I extend my B-1 Visa while in US?

Submit Your Answer

Winner of the Immigration Quiz - January 2007:

Renee Levitt

The Question:

I am working on a nonimmigrant visa in the U.S., recently I got married to a U.S. citizen and now I want to apply for Adjustment of Status. Will I need a Work Permit to continue working in the U.S. and will I able to travel outside the U.S. while I m waiting for my AOS to be approved?

The Winning Response:

To adjust your status in the U.S., you must submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, along with Supplement A to Form I-485. Yes, you may travel outside the U.S. while your Adjustment of Status application is being processed; however, you must receive advance permission called Advance Parole to return to the U.S. if you are traveling outside the U.S. If you do not apply for Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and you may not be permitted to return to the U.S. You are eligible to apply for a Work Permit while your case is pending, you should use Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to apply for a work permit.

Renee Levitt  receives a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of Febuary 2007.

JOBS @ VisaPro
Job Type: W-2 or 1099
Location: Work from anywhere in the U.S. No need to relocate.
Immigration Attorney
Immigration Paralegal

Beyond Arrival

Arrived in the U.S.! There are many things you need to do right after getting off the plane than just grab your luggage. We bring to you an insight of what happens once you have landed safely in the U.S.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

US Immigration - USCIS (INS) Processing Times

Visa Bulletin
USCIS Processing Times
Local USCIS Offices

B2 to E2
By PaulB

H4 to H1

By rhea1

I-130 for spouse
By ssmokey

More Discussions

I want to apply for an H-2B visa. Can I get a permanent residence in US?

You might be aware that an H-2B is for temporary seasonal, one-time need, or peak load work. Unfortunately, if you come on an H-2B you cannot later ask for permanent residence through the same employer in the same job. The labor certification completed by the employer for the H-2B states that the job is temporary. By certifying initially that it is temporary the employer forecloses the ability to seek a permanent position. If you were to find a second employer that was willing to sponsor you for a permanent labor certificate you could pursue that while working on the H-2B with the first employer.
If you have a short, simple query on immigration to the U.S., send your questions to us. We will select and answer a few of the queries in every issue.

Note: Responses posted in this section provide only general information. Since immigration law is a complex matter, please consult an immigration attorney before acting upon any responses provided.
Ask Your Question


Does applying for a Change of Status to F-1, allow the applicants to remain in the US until the USCIS decides on the Change of Status? Thank you.

If you file for a Change of Status in the US it will take from 2-4 months, depending on which service center you have to file in. If you travel back, you can obtain your F-1 visa at the consulate in a couple of days. If you file for a Change of Status in the US you are not allowed to depart the US until the case has been approved. Additionally, you cannot start school until the Change of Status has been approved. There is no prohibition to moving to another state while the application is pending. If you move after filing for a Change of Status you need to be sure to notify the USCIS of your change of address, so you will receive any notifications from them.

More Q&A

VisaPro Customers' Immigration Experiences

Hello everybody,

"I hope that you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

I wanted to inform you that I went at the US consulate this morning and all went very well. They said the [L-1] visas for me and my family were accepted and I should get the passports back by the end of the week with the Visas on it.

I wanted to thank everybody involved in this case, the whole Visapro team. You did a wonderful job; all the documents arrived right on time, despite the Thanksgiving holiday."

See you soon in the States,

Best regards,

Marc Dsenfant,
Come & Stay, Inc.

More Stories

Send Your Feedback
Send in your suggestions on topics that you want us to cover and Tell us what you think about us.
Email to a Friend
Share this Newsletter with your Friends.
Report Immigration News
Do you have any interesting immigration-related news to report? We will give a FREE Online Consultation to whoever provides us with the best news story of the month. Send your story.

To SUBSCRIBE to this FREE Newsletter, visit:

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, visit:

If you have any difficulties unsubscribing, please send an email.

VisaPro respects your privacy. To learn more, read our Privacy Policy.

"Immigration Monitor" is published monthly for users and clients of Our goal is to help keep you informed of the trends and events related to US Immigration.
Copyright © 2007 - All rights reserved.