Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Newsletters
Latest immigration news delivered to your inbox.

Home  >  Newsletter  >  November 2006

Monthly US Immigration Updates from VisaPro VisaPro US Immigration Services
VisaPro Immigration Services Home Download INS Forms Immigration Message Boards - Share, Discuss & Debate USCIS (INS) Processing Times Tips and Procedures About Specific Visas US Immigration Law FAQ
November 2006
Print US Immigration Newsletter Subscribe to Immigration Newsletter Email this Newsletter to a friend

US Immigration Newsletter - From the Editor's Desk

The mid-term elections earlier this month saw the Democrats taking control of the Congress. The Senators are meeting for their lame duck session; however, nothing substantive is expected to be taken up on comprehensive immigration reform during this session. Over 900 American companies, schools, trade organizations and hospitals submitted a letter to the Congress requesting the law makers to address the crisis facing American businesses as a result of “H-1B blackout” and employment-based Green Cards. The letter states that every day passing without access to “high-skilled workers” is a lost opportunity for growth, productivity and innovation. Keep watching the Immigration News of our website for the latest updates on the Congress action, as and when it happens.

Did you notice changes to VisaPro website? Let's visit the homepage at and review the top right hand corner of the webpage. Do you see a small pull-down that says “Immigration To”?
VisaPro launches Global Immigration Services. U.K. has become the first in the list of 120 countries for which we are developing immigration services. For information and queries related to U.K. immigration including Work Permits, Business and Investor visas, Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
(HSMP), and Settlement Permits you may now visit U.K. Immigration section of VisaPro site.

Starting the series of articles on our recent seminars and workshops in various cities of India, this month we bring you excerpts from our Attorney's diaries regarding his visit to New Delhi, the capital of India.
I am sure the In Focus section of this month's newsletter, with our attorney's travel experiences, will make an interesting reading. Click here to view a few videos from our events in India.

We often receive queries from our corporate clients as well as individuals who enter the U.S. on a work visa regarding the procedure of applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) and whether the employees can start working for the company without waiting for the actual allotment of SSN. This month’s Immigration Article discusses the procedure of obtaining SSN and how it affects the hiring or employment of a foreign worker.

Rudolf Inamarga deserves congratulations for winning last month's Immigration Quiz. Those who missed giving correct responses to the question last time can view this month's article on SSN for more details.Now that the mid-
term elections in the U.S. are over, we would like to have our readers'opinion on how important they think immigration issues influenced the voters' decision. Don't forget to share your opinion in this month's immigration poll.

See you next month with all the updates from the world of immigration.

Premium Processing available for EB-1 Extraordinary Ability petitions

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that Premium Processing Service is now available for EB-1 Aliens with Extraordinary Ability petitions.

89 “leftover” H-1Bs available

USCIS has informed that 89 H-1B numbers out of the 6,800 reserved for Chile and Singapore nationals are available for distribution among those who missed out on the H-1B Cap for FY 2007.

Form I-129F (K-3-spouse of U.S. Citizens only) transferred by USCIS

Effective October 23, 2006, USCIS National Benefits Center has begun transferring K-3 petitions to the California Service Center (CSC) and the Vermont Service Center (VSC), depending on the location of the related Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

Read More News

USA Immigration - In Focus

A Rendezvous with India: Immigration Seminar in New Delhi

This is the first of the series of articles on our recent seminars and workshops in various cities of India. This article contains excerpts from our Attorney’s diaries regarding his travel experiences during his visit to New Delhi, the capital of India.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Latest News
In Focus
Immigration Article
Processing Times
Discussion Corner
Questions and Answers
Success Stories

Download this Newsletter in PDF Format.


How important do you think 'immigration' was in influencing the voters in the recent U.S. national elections?
a. Extremely Important
b. Fairly Important
c. Not Important at all
Cast Your Vote
View Results

Win a FREE Online Consultation!

Submit your answer to the query below. The best response will be published in the next Immigration Monitor and the winner will receive a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of December 2006.
I am Chinese citizen working with a Chinese company as a Sales Executive since past three months. I hold a 3-year bachelor’s degree in commerce from a Chinese University. My company wants me to work as Business Development Executive for the U.S. office. I am confused whether I can use an L-1 or H-1B visa. Do I qualify for both? Which one is the better option?
Submit Your Answer

Winner of the Immigration Quiz - October 2006:
Rudolf Inamarga
The Question:
I entered the U.S. on an H-1B visa yesterday and have applied for Social Security Number (SSN). It seems getting a SSN will take at least a month. Do I need to wait for SSN to start working with my employer?
The Winning Response:
No, you need not. You can start working without the SSN. Your employer will deduct all necessary deductions from your salary/wage, and temporarily put them aside (using a dummy number for you). Once your SSN is issued, all these deductions will be forwarded/credited via your newly-issued SSN.
Rudolf Inamarga receives a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of November 2006.

JOBS @ VisaPro
Job Type: W-2 or 1099
Location: Work from anywhere in the U.S. No need to relocate.
Immigration Attorney
Senior Paralegal

Useful Articles On a Variety of Immigration Topics

Obtaining a Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) issued by Social Security Administration, is a number issued to citizens, permanent residents, temporary (working) residents and foreign citizens in the United States. It is generally needed for employment purposes.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

US Immigration - USCIS (INS) Processing Times

Visa Bulletin
USCIS Processing Times
Local USCIS Offices

L1A or B? Visa stamp not clear
By Pal_77

Please give me good advice!

By Michiko

Request to change 1 year H-1B extension to 3 years after I-140
By Immqry

More Discussions

I am a musician and heard about O-1 visa from a friend. What is O-1 visa and what kind of advisory opinion is required to file for O-1 visa?

The O-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in one of the following three categories to enter into the U.S. and engage in official activity:
  • Sciences, education, business, and athletics

  • Arts

  • Motion picture or TV industries

Prior to filing the O-1 petition with the USCIS, you should obtain an advisory opinion from an appropriate consulting entity, such as a peer group, labor organization, or management organization. The advisory opinion is to state whether you qualify as an alien
If you have a short, simple query on immigration to the U.S., send your questions to us. We will select and answer a few of the queries in every issue.

Note: Responses posted in this section provide only general information. Since immigration law is a complex matter, please consult an immigration attorney before acting upon any responses provided.
Ask Your Question
of extraordinary ability and whether such extraordinary abilities are required for the activities to be undertaken by you.

Who is eligible to apply for EB-1 visa as an ‘outstanding professor or researcher’?

To qualify for an EB-1 visa as an ‘outstanding professor or researcher’ you must be a foreign national who:

  • Is recognized internationally as ‘outstanding’ in a specific academic area

  • Possesses at least three years of experience in teaching or research in the academic area, and

  • Seeks to enter the U.S. for a:

    • Tenured position (or tenure-track position) within a university or institution of higher education to teach in the academic area; or

    • Comparable position with a university or institution of higher education to conduct research in the area; or

    • Comparable position to conduct research in the area with a department, division, or institute of a private employer, if the department, division, or institute employs at least three persons full time in research activities and has achieved documented accomplishments in an academic field

More Q&A

VisaPro Customers' Immigration Experiences

"I'd like to express sincere and heartfelt thanks to both of you and the Visa Pro team for successfully preparing the case that led to my wife getting the greenlight on her [K-3 visa] to the USA. This is the best news I have received this year, and without a doubt the most positive news I have received since I got married to Irina last year.

Thank you so much for helping me and Irina to navegate through the maelstrom of legal paperwork required for processing an immigration visa. I am certain that your help was critical to the success of our case and we are so happy that we followed your advice.

May God bless you all mightily for the outstanding work you do to bring lives together. I will happily refer you to anyone that comes into my path requiring immigration visa services."

Yours most thankfully and respectfully,

Steve & Irina Latham,
United States

More Stories

Send Your Feedback
Send in your suggestions on topics that you want us to cover and Tell us what you think about us.
Email to a Friend
Share this Newsletter with your Friends.
Report Immigration News
Do you have any interesting immigration-related news to report? We will give a FREE Online Consultation to whoever provides us with the best news story of the month. Send your story.

To SUBSCRIBE to this FREE Newsletter, visit:

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, visit:

If you have any difficulties unsubscribing, please send an email.

VisaPro respects your privacy. To learn more, read our Privacy Policy.

"Immigration Monitor" is published monthly for users and clients of Our goal is to help keep you informed of the trends and events related to US Immigration.